If you recently bought a Canon M50, you likely think you have hundreds of lens options available from Canon and other third-party manufacturers. However, not every Canon lens will fit this mirrorless camera.
The Canon M50 has a Canon EF-M mount. While it is technically a Canon camera, it is only compatible with a limited number of lenses with the same mount. Look for EF-M lenses to ensure proper fit to your mirrorless camera.
However, the Canon EOS M50 can accept other lenses under certain conditions, which we will cover below. We will also list down the lenses that fit the Canon M50. But first, let us take a quick look at the features of this mirrorless device.
What Is The Canon M50? A Brief Overview
The Canon EOS M50, also called Canon M50, is a compact camera known for its 4K video resolution. Paired with the Vari-angle touchscreen display, fast autofocus system, and creative shooting modes, this mirrorless camera is equipped to record high-quality videos. It is a popular camera for video vloggers and content creators.
Beyond its video recording capabilities, the Canon M50 can capture great photos. It has a 24.1-megapixel APS-C sensor and a DIGIC 8 image processor. And unlike similarly priced cameras, this model features an electronic viewfinder to help you compose the perfect shot. It also makes it easier to select the focus point for a sharper, more detailed image.
The Canon M50 mirrorless camera also has built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and NFC capabilities. These enable you to transfer photos and videos to another device with ease. Plus, they allow you to control the device remotely.
The Canon M50 is an interchangeable lens camera, meaning it can work with other lenses. It allows you to capture a variety of scenes. However, note that this camera is not compatible with all Canon lenses. It has a unique lens mount that connects to specific types of lenses.
What Lens Fits Canon M50?
To determine the lenses compatible with the Canon M50, you must know the type of mount it uses. The mount is the mechanical and electrical connection between the camera body and lens. Every interchangeable lens camera has a unique lens mount. It is usually associated with particular brands and models. For example, Canon lens mounts are incompatible with Nikon cameras. However, in recent years, compatibility between different manufacturers has greatly improved due to adapters.
The Canon EOS M50 uses an EF-M lens mount, which stands for Mobility. Founded in 2012, it was specifically designed for the Canon EOS M camera system with APS-C sensors.
This lens mount has a 1.6x crop factor, which can change the effective focal length of the lens. For example, a Canon EF-M 50mm lens acts like an 80mm lens. Simply multiply the stated focal length of the lens by its crop factor to determine the equivalent focal range.
As of 2023, Canon has eight EF-M lenses. You can use the following lenses on your Canon M50:
- Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
- Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM
- Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
- Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM
- Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM
- Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
- Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM
- Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM
That said, you can also connect other lenses on the Canon M50 under certain conditions (to be covered later).
What Are The Other Canon Lens Mounts?
Canon has four different lens mount types.
- Canon EF mount – It fits EOS DSLR cameras, whether they are full-frame or crop-sensor. It can also connect to other Canon EOS M and R series with an adapter. This Canon lens mount is characterized by a red dot marking.
- Canon EF-S mount – This lens mount is specifically designed for Canon EOS DSLRs with an APS-C sensor size. It is also compatible with Canon EOS M and R cameras. However, it does not fit full-frame DSLRs. The mount mark is a white square on the barrel.
- Canon RF and RF-S mount – These lens mounts connect to the Canon EOS R mirrorless cameras. The R stands for Reimagine optical excellence. The RF mount is compatible with full-frame cameras, whereas the RF-S fits APS-C cameras. They do not match other Canon cameras. They have a red dash on the lens mount.
- Canon EF-M mount – This lens mount fits the Canon M50 and other cameras in the M product lineup. It does not attach to other Canon series. It has a white circle as the lens mount designation.
Canon RF vs. EF-M: What Is The Difference Between These Lenses?
Canon RF and EF-M are lens mount types for mirrorless cameras. However, they fit different types of cameras.
Canon RF lenses are exclusive to the Canon EOS R series. The Canon EOS R was the first camera launched in the system and the first full-frame mirrorless camera from Canon. RF-S lenses are also available for the lineup. They are compatible with the new APS-C mirrorless format, such as the EOS R7 and R10.
Meanwhile, EF-M lenses are specifically designed for the older Canon EOS M lineup with a crop-sensor format. They have a 1.6x crop factor, which gives you a narrower field of view.
Both types of Canon lenses are incompatible with DSLR cameras.
Can I Use EF And EF-S Lenses On The Canon M50?
As previously mentioned, the Canon M50 has an EF-M lens mount. It is fully compatible with all EF-M lenses.
However, it can also accept other types of lenses when you use the right adapter. Notably, having an EF to EOS M adapter lets you use EF and EF-S lenses on the Canon M50. You can still use autofocus and other features. At the same time, you can have access to hundreds of Canon lenses.
The only downside of using Canon EF and EF-S lenses on the Canon EOS M50 is their size and weight. They take away the advantage of a compact mirrorless camera.
Can You Use Third-Party Lenses On The Canon M50?
Yes, you can use lenses from other manufacturers on the Canon M50. However, you must first invest in the right lens adapter. Look for one with an EF-M designation, so you can connect more lenses to your camera. These include different types of lenses from a wide-angle lens to a telephoto lens.
Popular lens manufacturers include Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, and Samyang. Lesser-known brands, such as Handevision and Viltrox, also produce EF-M lenses.
Note that third-party lenses and adapters affect Canon M50 lens compatibility. You might be unable to use autofocus, aperture, and other features because Canon did not test them. If you want to avoid compatibility issues, use Canon EF-M lenses.
What Are The Best Lenses For The Canon M50?
The best lenses for the Canon EOS M50 depend on your needs and budget as a photographer. Remember that a specific lens might work for you, but it does not match the requirements of another.
That said, we have done the research for you. We picked several lenses that fit the needs of different photographers. Save time by grabbing any Canon M50 lens from the list below.
- Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 – It features a versatile focal length range that covers wide-angle and medium telephoto perspectives. It is the best all-around zoom lens for Canon M50, ideal for everyday shooting.
- Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 – This Canon M50 lens has a moderate wide-angle focal length. Considered a versatile lens, it is great for capturing street, travel shots, group photos, and general subjects.
- Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 – It has an equivalent focal length of around 50mm. This normal lens offers a natural field of view without distortion, perfect for portraits.
- Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 – This telephoto zoom lens can get you closer to the subject. It is suitable for action, sports, and wildlife photography.
- Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro – This Canon macro lens offers a life-size magnification of the subject. It is ideal for insects, food, jewelry, and other tiny objects.
- Sigma 16mm f/1.4 – This Sigma lens has a wide-angle perspective, excellent sharpness, and weather sealing. It can capture architecture, interior spaces, and landscapes.
- Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 – This wide-angle zoom lens is great for video blogging. It has image stabilization, autofocus, and a lightweight build. However, it lacks a large aperture, meaning it might suffer in low-light situations. However, it still offers superb image quality.
The Canon EOS M50 is a compact camera packed with many features. It is a popular choice for photography and videography on the go.
Canon EF-M lenses fit the M50 and other Canon EOS M camera models. These have a white circle marking on the lens mount. Other lenses can also attach to the Canon APS-C mirrorless camera. However, ensure you have an EF-M lens adapter.
Do you have other questions about Canon M50 lens compatibility? Feel free to send your concerns via our contact page!