If you often travel and shoot outdoors, you know it’s important to get a lightweight camera. You probably heard about the Sony a7III for its powerful camera features, wide dynamic range, impressive battery life, and compact size. But how much does the Sony a7III weigh exactly?
The Sony a7III camera body weighs 650 grams or 1.43 pounds or 22.93 ounces. It is one of the lightest mirrorless cameras to buy today. It is perfect for continuous shooting, outdoor use, or travel photography.
However, the Sony a7 III weight can vary if you mount lenses or an external LCD monitor to the body. Below, we’ll cover how heavy this mirrorless camera really is. We’ll also compare it to other products from Canon, Nikon, and Fujifilm, among other brands.
What Is the Sony a7 III Weight?
The Sony Alpha 7 III is a full-frame mirrorless camera packed with several advanced features. These include a powerful image processor, accurate autofocus, professional video capabilities, reliable low-light performance, image stabilization, and Wi-Fi connection, among others.
Despite having a large 35mm full-frame sensor, it is lightweight and compact. The Sony a7 III only weighs 650 grams (1.43 lb/22.93 oz) with the battery and memory card inserted.
If you attach a Sony 28-70mm kit lens to the body, the combined weight of the camera and lens is 945 grams. That is around 2.08 pounds or 33.33 ounces. It is still lightweight and comfortable enough to carry for long periods. It is ideal if you travel a lot or use the camera extensively.
Sony a7 III Weight vs. Competing Cameras
By now, you know how heavy the Sony a7 III mirrorless camera is. It is relatively light and easy to handle, especially when using manual focus or shooting video.
Still, you want to learn how it compares to other cameras from popular manufacturers before purchasing it. Is it still light when up against mirrorless systems with a capable image processor?
Here is the weight of the Sony a7 III next to several competing cameras.
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Sony a7R III 657 grams (1.45 lb / 23.17 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Sony a7S III 699 grams (1.54 lb / 24.66 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Sony a7II 599 grams (1.32 lb / 21.13 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Sony a7IV 659 grams (1.45 lb / 23.25 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Sony ZV-E1 483 grams (1.06 lb / 17.03 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Canon EOS R 660 grams (1.45 lb / 23.28 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Canon EOS RP 485 grams (1.07 lb / 17.11 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Nikon Z6 II 705 grams (1.55 lb / 24.86 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Fujifilm X-T5 557 grams (1.23 lb / 19.64 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Leica M11 530 grams (1.17 lb / 22.93 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Olympus OM-D E-M1 III 580 grams (1.28 lb / 20.46 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Panasonic S5 714 grams (1.57 lb / 25.19 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Sony a6700 493 grams (1.09 lb / 17.39 oz)
- Sony a7 III 650 grams vs. Sony a7C 509 grams (1.12 lb / 17.95 oz)
What Is the Size of the Sony a7 III Camera?
Besides the weight, the camera size is another important consideration before buying one.
The Sony a7III is surprisingly compact despite being a full-frame mirrorless camera with great image quality. It is among the reasons why the camera is lightweight and comparable to a model with an APS-C sensor.
The size of the Sony a7III is 5.0 x 3.9 x 3.0 inches. You can easily grip it with one hand. However, those with large hands may find the camera awkward to hold due to its small size.
What Is the Body Material of Sony a7III?
Sony uses a magnesium alloy chassis for the Sony a7III. This material offers durability and stability, allowing it to withstand daily use. It can also resist dust and moisture, which is ideal for outdoor shoots. Plus, the magnesium alloy construction ensures the camera remains lightweight.
The Sony a7III is one of the best compact mirrorless cameras with a full-frame sensor capable of manual focus. It only weighs 650 grams or 1.43 pounds with the battery installed. If you attach a kit lens, the combined weight only amounts to 945 grams or just slightly over 2 pounds. Its small, lightweight body is ideal for traveling or continuous shooting.
Do you have other questions about the Sony a7III? Feel free to check our blog page dedicated to this mirrorless camera!